Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
Who We Are
Nithio is an AI-driven platform for climate finance. Nithio leverages the power of artificial intelligence to fundamentally transform how credit risk is assessed. Our mission is clear: to catalyze billions of capital into solutions that combat climate change and facilitate universal access to clean energy.
Through our investment vehicle, FAIR (Facility for Adaptation, Inclusion, and Resilience), we directly lend capital in the decentralized energy sector, empowering companies to provide households with clean and reliable energy sources. We work hand in hand with other investors, providing them with the insights and tools needed to scale their investments effectively, all while navigating the complex credit risk landscape.
We’re looking for team members who value the opportunity to work with a fun, passionate, and talented global team. Join us in our mission to reshape the future.
Nithio seeks an Investment Officer to drive innovation and progress in climate finance and energy access. As an Investment Officer, you will be the go-to person to establish and maintain client relationships, identify clients’ needs, develop innovative and bankable financing solutions, and build our African loan portfolio.
This full-time, remote-first role has excellent potential for growth and expansion in responsibilities. You’ll be joining a growing, mission-driven company with a solid commitment to positive social impact. The Investment Officer will report to the Investment Manager. This role will require occasional international travel.
- End-to-End Transaction/Deal Ownership: Develop and maintain client relationships, origination, due diligence, and credit analysis of existing and new borrowers; structure appropriate financing solutions; prepare financial projections; negotiate legal documents with counterparties alongside legal counsel—presenting analysis to internal credit committees.
- Portfolio Management/Monitoring: Maintain close business relationships with existing/ potential borrowers with regular check-ins, flag any early warning signs, and ensure a high-quality regional loan portfolio. Monitor ongoing performance of facilities and track covenants.
- Research/DD: Perform market research, due diligence, and business analysis; prepare analytical products, including presentations, reports, briefings, etc.
- Credit Analysis: Perform credit analysis of financial condition/credit-worthiness of existing/prospective borrowers via analysis of financial statements, P&L, tax returns, biographical data, market information, and credit reports; manage client onboarding, KYC/AML reviews
- Support Client Engagements: (e.g., investors, distributed energy companies, policymakers, and development agencies); assist in the structuring, legal documentation implementation, and monitoring of commercially viable financing facilities aligned with risk standards and detailed understanding of the client's strategic and financial objectives
- Compliance: Maintain in-depth knowledge of our credit risk policies and procedures in compliance with applicable local and US regulations and assist the company in achieving satisfactory risk-adjusted returns on its lending portfolio as well as strong internal and external audit results
- Credit Risk: Assist in defining risk tolerance by supporting the creation of systems to measure, mitigate, manage, and limit credit risk exposures.
Who You Are
- A self-starter, passionate about creating lasting change in developing markets
- Have demonstrated experience working in Africa and/or emerging markets
- Have a track record of focus, energy, and drive to achieve outsized results
- Highly entrepreneurial and self-motivated; expert at managing your own time
- Possess superior problem-solving, judgment, and decision-making skills with the ability to articulate and present points of view and ideas effectively
- You have a track record of successfully prioritizing multiple competing priorities with strong attention to detail
- You can advance discrete projects both independently and as part of a team
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and work well on a distributed, global team
- Exemplify our values: Collaboration, Commitment, Growth, Marking a Difference, and Adaptability
- You’re a networker skilled at building and maintaining professional relationships across countries, personalities, and the political spectrum.
- Nithio is a multicultural, distributed, and remote-first team. As such, it is critical that you are someone who over-communicates, is highly organized and results-oriented, self-motivated, and self-disciplined.
- You have a proven track record of making things happen, can “get your hands dirty,” and have the ability to thrive in a rapidly changing environment
- You enjoy learning new tech tools and systems from others. You see feedback as an opportunity for growth and are keen to give and receive it.
- Possess a positive attitude, intellectual curiosity, and low ego.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in a quantitative field (Business, Finance, Mathematics, Economics, Engineering or a related field)
- 5 years experience leading, structuring, negotiating, and executing debt investments in the financial/renewable energy sectors, including experience in investment/commercial banking, private equity, debt funds, or corporate finance. Prior experience in a high-growth startup environment is a strong plus.
- Fluent in GSuite and Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.
Please use the form linked below to apply for this position. Nithio cannot sponsor or transfer employment visas. All applicants should have permanent work authorization before applying. Applicants requiring visas will be removed from consideration.
Founded in 2018, Nithio is a remote-first, global company with teams in Nairobi, Lagos, Washington, D.C., and London.
Why work at Nithio?
Nithio prides itself on fostering a supportive, inclusive, and collaborative work culture where people are purpose-driven, conscientious, and motivated to generate positive social and environmental impact alongside financial returns at scale. We offer a competitive compensation package, including generous benefits and a positive work culture at an ambitious startup that strongly encourages a healthy life-work balance.
Some of our benefits and perks include:
- Competitive health benefits, including medical, dental, vision, life, disability, HSA/FSA & 401(k)
- Flexible work environment, generous leave policies, and global holidays
- Remote workforce with stipends to set up work-from-home
- Parental leave
- Monthly stipend for meals & phone
- Annual professional development funds
- An annual, in-person retreat
- Make a tangible impact by addressing the world’s urgent challenges
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Nithio is committed to embracing the diversity of views and backgrounds that our colleagues bring and helping them achieve their professional and personal goals. A solid commitment to diversity and inclusion among our team enables us to serve our clients better and achieve our central mission of increasing access to energy and financial services. Therefore, we strongly encourage applications from people of color, people with disabilities, women, LGBTQ+ people, and people with intersectional identities.
Nithio recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, family status, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.