Senior DevOps Engineer
Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focused investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior DevOps Engineer who is a creative, but pragmatic, problem-solver. You’ll spend most of your time working autonomously or within a small team, building and improving our cloud-based infrastructure. This work will involve the continued development of our infra-as-code cloud technology, maintaining Kubernetes, Dask, and other computation clusters, supporting our AI-technology stack, and making sure our cloud infrastructure is scalable and up to date.
You will also be helping us maintain our security standards and our SOC2 compliance (performing pen-testing, vulnerability scans, etc.) and make sure we meet the security standards required by our customers. You will have responsibility for your own projects, and we’ll expect you to take initiative to help us improve overall.
Ideally, you’re in a time zone +/- 1 hour from CET / CEST.
- You have at least 5 years of experience as a DevOps, or Infrastructure Engineer.
- You have advanced experience in container based technologies (Kubernetes, Docker) and Parallel execution engines (Dagster, Argo, Airflow, Dask)
- You have established and promoted security practices in teams and supported ongoing security audits (SOC2, ISO 27001)
- You have experience and enjoy mentoring engineers.
- You have worked with satellite data and/or imagery.
- You are familiar with data pipelines, event queues (e.g. through RabbitMQ, ZeroMQ, or Redis), and AI-ops processes (e.g. CICD for machine learning)
- Familiar with the Pangeo stack (Primarily Jupyter Hub, Dask, Xarray, Zarr, and HDF5 file formats)
- You are creative and curious.
- You are pragmatic, you know when a simple solution is sufficient or when a new process or technology is required.
- Your work is thorough and you pay attention to both the small details and the larger picture.
- Teamwork is at your core, and you like to help others grow and succeed.
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 43 people from all over the world. Twelve nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion and strive to continually bring in people of all genders, races, creeds, ethnicities, abilities and backgrounds. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.
Tackling the climate crisis is our greatest mission.
We act with urgency.
Our curiosity fuels our growth.
We recognize that change is constant, and we find joy and power in exploration.
We’re rooted in diversity.
Just as ecosystems need biodiversity to thrive, our resiliency comes from our differences.
We care for each other.
We love the power of machines but we nurture each other as humans.
Trust is fundamental.
We assume the best in everyone, and we share ideas openly so that we have a positive impact.