Working to solve our climate crisis is the most important mission of our time, and the most exciting problem to be working on. Overstory’s mission is to help solve our climate crisis by providing real-time intelligence about the planet’s vegetation. In our first step toward this mission, we are applying machine learning to satellite imagery to track forests and vegetation, helping to reduce the risk of wildfires and power outages.
We have already proven our business model and we’re all united behind our ambitious vision to scale up this model to help humanity and the planet. We recently raised a round of funding, led by Convective Capital. Other investors include: B Capital Group, Moxxie Ventures, Capital T, Pale Blue Dot and many other climate-focused investors.
If you want to have a real impact and solve some of the world's most complex challenges with advanced technology, come work with our talented and passionate team. Overstory is based in Amsterdam but we are a remote-first company, with people living all over the U.S. and Europe.
We’re looking for a Product Designer to play a leading role in shaping our customer-facing product as well as our internal tools. This is a role for someone entrepreneurial who wants to roll up their sleeves and get their hands dirty with designing a product in its early stages. You’ll work closely with the rest of a dedicated team to build Overstory so that it has a giant impact on the world.
Our product and engineering teams are based within + / - 1 hour from CET, but we are also considering applications from people residing on the US East Coast.
What you’ll do
- Lead the end-to-end product design process for certain sections of our customer-facing product and/or internal tools including user research, wireframes, prototypes, flows, detailed design specs and QA.
- Understand engineering and business constraints to create shippable solutions to users’ problems, and continuously validate the solutions with customers.
- Lay out a design vision for what's possible by quickly iterating, knowing when to pay attention to detail and when to make low-fi sketches and prototypes.
- Communicate and present your work clearly and frequently to teammates and company leaders.
- Take full ownership of your work.
- Think both short- and long-term so that you can meet near-term deadlines while iterating toward a future vision.
- Facilitate alignment and vision exercises (e.g. design sprints, workshops, planning).
- A strong portfolio featuring examples of interaction design work.
- Demonstrated experience with end-to-end (hybrid UX and UI) product design for enterprise software.
- Demonstrated experience working with cross-functional teams (product, engineering and design)
- Exceptional verbal, written and visual communication skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience leading design sprints and building consensus around the best ideas.
- You take calculated risks: you’re comfortable learning as you go and making mistakes.
- A genuine passion for the urgency of solving our climate crisis.
- 5+ years of product design experience.
- Experience working on a B2B SaaS product.
- Experience working at an early-stage startup.
- You’ve worked closely with machine learning engineers and/or data scientists in a previous role.
- You’ve worked with maps / geospatial data.
What you get
- To be part of truly mission-driven work that reduces wildfires, protects earth’s natural resources and helps solve our climate crisis.
- Flexible working environment with a lot of autonomy. We build our work days around our lives, not the other way around.
- Other benefits like a remote working budget, an educational budget and time to develop new skills.
- To be surrounded by an excellent, vibrant, smart team who have each other's back and believe in a culture of openness, tolerance and respect.
- Equity and a competitive salary.
About our team
We are a group of 43 people from all over the world. Twelve nationalities are represented in our team. We work remotely from eight different countries and occasionally (optionally!) meet up for in-person collaboration.
Diversity & Inclusion
We place enormous value on diversity and inclusion and strive to continually bring in people of all genders, races, creeds, ethnicities, abilities and backgrounds. We believe that the best ideas emerge when people with different perspectives and approaches work together on a problem.
We’re always looking to diversify our team further, but we’re proud of the fact that four out of the eight people on our leadership team are female or non-white males, 40% of the overall team are female and 25% of the team are people of color. Our team speaks ten languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Luxembourgish, Indonesian and Cantonese.
Tackling the climate crisis is our greatest mission.
We act with urgency.
Our curiosity fuels our growth.
We recognize that change is constant, and we find joy and power in exploration.
We’re rooted in diversity.
Just as ecosystems need biodiversity to thrive, our resiliency comes from our differences.
We care for each other.
We love the power of machines but we nurture each other as humans.
Trust is fundamental.
We assume the best in everyone, and we share ideas openly so that we have a positive impact.